On a very foggy 26 November, new banners were unveiled over the bridge in Buckhorn. The banners were commissioned as a Trail Town initiative by the Regional Tourism Organization.
Maryls Kerkman reported in the Peterborough Examiner (online 6 December):
At the event the mayors of Trent Lakes, Janet Clarkson, and Selwyn, Andy Mitchell, spoke of the importance of the Trent Severn Waterway in our area and the possibilities of Trailtown.
Identifying the Trent Severn Waterway as a trail is a Regional Tourism Organization 8 (RTO8) initiative. It makes the Trent-Severn Waterway Canada’s first waterway trail. ... Nine communities on the system including Buckhorn, Coboconk, Rosedale, Fenelon Falls, Lindsay, Bobcaygeon, Lakefield, Hastings, and Campbellford are currently connected by the trail.
The Trent-Severn Waterway is a 386-kilometer canal route connecting Lake Ontario at Trenton to Georgian Bay, Lake Huron at Port Severn. There are 44 locks (the first was built in 1833) along the waterway, including 36 conventional locks, two sets of flight locks and two hydraulic lift locks and approximately 32 kilometres of man-made channels. The waterway is a National Historic Site of Canada.
In support of our local community and the lead-up work of the Buckhorn Trail Committee, the parish of St Matthew - St Aidan has happily provided meeting space at no charge [pre-pandemic]. Congratulations and appreciation to the committee for their creative initiative to add another welcoming touch to the village.